Everyone wants to have a meaningful career to earn good money, reputation, and fame. To achieve life goals, most of the people aim to become an IAS officer, an engineer, a lawyer, a banker or other reputed government job.
Undoubtedly, all of these career options are lucrative enough in terms of money and respect, but how to choose one of them. There is no security of success in a career you choose. Often students complete their basic education, take admission in different courses and after a few months realize that they made a wrong choice.
Making a meaning career starts with the selection of a right path and then preparing for it wholeheartedly. If you decide to join civil services, you should be ready to strive hard and burn the midnight oil to crack one of the most difficult exams in the country.
This post is to help you choose the right career for your lifetime without wasting precious years of your life in experimenting with different choices.
1. Don’t get into the rat race: The first advice for career selection is that never get into the herd mentality. What is easier and suitable for one might not be the right choice for you. So first analyze your strengths and weakness and then decide in which direction you want to go. It’s you who need to work to realize your career dreams, so how anyone else can decide what is right for you.
2. Value your time: When it comes to making a career choice, you should never make a decision in hurry. Time is money in this situation and you should utilize every second wisely. For instance, if you have decided to make a career in the government sector and want to try your luck in civil services exam, start preparing for the exam at the right time. If you find it difficult, you can read time management tips to use your time intelligently for exam preparation. Whether it is Prelim test series or reading books for civil services, you should make a proper timetable for each activity.
3. Step out of your comfort zone: To achieve your career goals for a successful life, you need to step out of your comfort zone. For instance, you want to prepare for IAS but you don’t want to opt for it just because you cannot study a lot of GS books for mains exam. By coming out of your comfort zone, you will get many new experiences and get a broad scope. Leaving your comfort zone is the first step towards a strong career.
4. Upgrade your skill set: Reinvest time in yourself and improve your skills to perform well. Be it reading books, browsing the internet for latest updates or joining an institute, you should make every effort to upgrade your skills. If you are preparing for a competitive exam and you think joining a coaching center can help you perform well in the exam, do not give it a second thought; just go and find the best institute.
5. Stay updated with the emerging career: If you are adaptable and can adjust with any career, you should keep an eye on the emerging career options. To make a meaningful career, stay updated with the latest changes and opportunities in your stream. If you need special training to start with your career, you should think about joining an institute.
6. Always think for the long term: Though both short-term and long-term goals are important, while deciding a career, think of long-term goals. Don’t jump to any conclusion or a choice by just looking at the outer picture. For instance, if you start preparation of civil services exam, don’t just think about passing just Prelim exams, think of cracking mains and PI, and continue your preparation with the same objective. Keep the same point in the mind even while attempting online test series to prepare for both prelims and mains at the same time.
Selection of career is the first point in the process and you should make this choice very carefully.