Hiring car accident lawyer first involves finding suitable candidates, after a thorough research. Next step will be to choose a right one and enter into a reasonable agreement for representation. Are you aware what the lawyer will do on your behalf?
Finding Suitable Lawyers
Insider referral – You know a good lawyer, who has helped you with a case, but if he/she does not handle personal injury cases, then you can ask for recommendation. Thus you can get an outstanding insider referral, because lawyers usually know their peers.
Trusted reference – Relatives, friends and colleagues are trusted sources. You can ask the one, who had hired a car accident advocate and was satisfied with his/her representation.
You can use this site http://www.caraccidentlawyersmelbourne.com/ to find an advocate in your locality.
Make a list of three candidates and check their sites. Look for credentials and past experience. Read reviews and ask around to verify the lawyer’s reputation.
You can call the potential lawyers. Most lawyers will smartly talk about your case and provide advice. If you feel like meeting the lawyer, then schedule an appointment. Ensure that initial consultation is complimentary.
List of Questions to Ask
- What percentage of car accident cases they have handled?
- Do they have experience in tackling neck injury case?
- Have they experienced accident cases same to mine? What was the outcome of the case?
- Will they handle your case personally?
- What are the strong and weak points related to your case?
- How to contact them?
- What is the procedure for your case?
- Can they tell the credible settlement value?
- Explain retainer agreement that will be signed?
- Is their fee based on gross recovery amount?
- If you are not satisfied, then what are your obligations of firing them?
Choose the ‘RIGHT’ Lawyer
After meeting the candidates and evaluating them comparatively, decide which one is ‘RIGHT’.
Vital Aspects to Compare
- Successes in your kind of case
- You feel comfortable to talk to
- Someone who cares, listens and is patient
- Looked genuinely interested in your case
In general, car crash cases are handled on contingent fee basis. In this pattern, you have to pay percentage of compensation amount, only if you recover it.
Length of the Case
In general, car accident claims take 12 – 18 months, but if your case is complicated, then it can take a long time.
Why the need to Hire a Car Accident Advocate?
Car accident claims differ in every process. It needs a lot of paperwork, legwork, negotiation skill, and possible need for litigation.
Due to injuries, you may not be able to loyally pursue the case, even if you are aware about the laws, legal rights, & entitlements. In addition, a legal representative will add leverage in your case and help to gain good outcome.
If you are determined to hire an auto accident lawyer, then it is wise to appoint one within a couple of week of your injury. The lawyer gets enough time to investigate the scenario. The facts are still fresh and it will help to make crucial decisions, which will affect the case.